Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sorry Tilda






Dazed & Confused May 2010 Cover | Tilda Swinton by Glen Luchford--George Digby, 2nd Earl of Bristol, ca. 1638–9, ; Princess Mary Stuart and Prince William of Orange. 1641, both by Sir Anthony van Dyck (both flipped horizontally)

When I first stumbled across Tilda Swinton gracing the cover of Dazed and Confused I was immediately reminded of royal portraits one would examine if looking at 17th century art. The soft lighting and light color palette paralleled typical royal portrayals. Swinton's photograph reminded me of a few of Anthony van Dyck's works. van Dyck was a comtemporary to Velázquez, and they both became widely known for being preeminent court portraitists. Like Swinton, van Dyck was an under appreciated artist from his time, one who possessed the talents of his many contemporaries, like Rembrant and Holbein, but was never truly valued for his immense skill.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed. Congratulations on a GREAT blog. Can I say I'm proud of you?

    ReplyDelete